What is Creation Spirituality: The 6 Essentials
Creation Spirituality: The Six Essentials
From special guest contributor, Rev. Dr. Sid Hall —
Creation Spirituality has been celebrated under various names over the centuries, most notably in the West by the Rhineland Christian mystics of medieval Europe. It has been emphatically articulated in our time by the prolific author, priest, and spiritual theologian Matthew Fox.
There are Six Essentials to Creation Spirituality:
1. The Universe, and all life within it, is fundamentally a blessing.
2. It is through the work of spiritual practice that we move beyond fear into compassion and discover our deep and true selves.
3. The spiritual journey can be understood as a dance moving in and out of four mystical paths:
Awe, delight, gratitude, joy (known as the Via Positiva)
Uncertainty, darkness, suffering, letting go (known as the Via Negativa)
Birthing, creativity, passion (known as the Via Creativa)
Justice, healing, celebration, rebirth, resurrection (known as the Via Transformativa)
4. Every one of us carries within us the capacity to be a mystic, to be creative, to be visionary, and to be an agent for positive change. It is our responsibility to cultivate these capacities for the benefit of Earth and all its creatures.
5. We rejoice in and courageously honor the rich diversity within the Cosmos which is expressed in every individual and embodies multiple cultures, religions, and ancestral traditions.
6. Ecological and social justice are our priority as imperatives for the healing, sustainability and harmony among our species and the entire Earth community.